VPN stands for “Virtual Private Network” and describes the opportunity to establish a protected network connection when using public networks. VPNs encrypt your internet traffic and disguise your online identity. This makes it more difficult for third parties to track your activities online and steal data. The encryption takes place in real-time.
What is a VPN used for?
A virtual private network is mainly used because you want access to a network that you are not directly connected to. VPNs are primarily used for business purposes, so that employees can work securely at different locations or from the home office. But you can also use a VPN for different purposes in the private sector:
- Increased privacy and security: with a VPN you can surf anonymously, hide your location, and encrypt the data that is sent and received. For example, you can avoid target group-oriented advertising.
- Bypassing local locks: certain applications only work in certain areas. With a VPN connection, you can access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Sky in Germany or any other country of your choice anywhere in the world. So you can pretend to be in a certain location.
- In some countries, search engines like Google or social networks like Facebook or Instagram are blocked or monitored. With a VPN connection, you can also remove national blockades or filters in a country.
Benefits of using a well-configured VPN:
- Extended connections across multiple geographic locations without using a leased line
- Improved security for exchanging data
- Flexibility for remote offices and employees to use the business intranet over an existing internet connection as if they’re directly connected to the network
- Improved productivity for remote employees
Choosing a VPN
The easiest thing to do is simply head to one of these sites, sign up, and download the VPN client for your Windows PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, or iPad. It’s as easy as that. Here are some VPNs you can try out; ExpressVPN, StrongVPN, and TunnelBear.
READ ASLO: How To Pay DSTV With Vodafone Cash In Ghana