The Ministry of Arts Tourism and Culture exists in Ghana to create a conducive environment for sustainable growth and development of Tourism, Arts and Culture to contribute enormously to the country’s tax base through effective and efficient use of appropriate policies.It is also to develop and sustain public-private partnership with the Diaspora for resource mobilization and investment into the country.
What are the functions of the Ministry of Arts Tourism and Culture?
The Ministry of Arts Tourism and Culture exists to;
- Formulate policies, plans and programs through the promulgation of laws and regulations on tourism, arts and culture
- Conduct research into regional and global trends in tourism, arts and culture
- Develop human resource within the private and public sectors
- Coordinate and collaborate with other government agencies and development partners
- Develop policies and programs to link up with Africans including Ghanaians in the diaspora
- Monitor and evaluate of the sector’s performance
- Formulate policies that can stimulate the investment and foreign exchange required
- Co-ordinate, collaborate and forge closer links with other governmental agencies.
What are the agencies under the Ministry of Arts Tourism and Culture?
- Ghana Tourism Authority: it is the body in charge of the regulation of tourism enterprises,facilitating the development of tourist facilities and products,and facilitating human resource development in the tourism industry for both the public and private sectors.
- Ghana Museums and Monuments Board: this agency is in charge of equipping and managing all material cultural (moveable and immovable) and natural heritage of the nation and establishing National register and keeping inventory of all material cultural (moveable and immovable) and natural heritage of Ghana.
- National Theatre Of Ghana: this agency is mandated to promote and develop the performing arts in Ghana,formulate criteria and conditions to regulate performance by Ghanaian and international artistes and troupes,and assist in formulating an effective export promotion programme of works in the performing arts produced in Ghana
- National Commission on Culture: the agency’s mandate is to recognize all civil society groups, business and corporate organizations in the nation’s cultural, and initiate policies and programs for the dissemination of identity, programs and the spirit of the democratic process into the habits of the Ghanaian people.
- Ghana Tourism Development Company:the agency is mandated to promote and mobilize resources for investment in tourism undertakings and seek equity participation in joint ventures with Ghanaian
- W.E.B Du Bois Centre:the agency is mandated to promote the ideals of Pan Africanism among the Diaspora and continental Africans,foster research and dissemination of knowledge and promote the constructive interaction between Africans and the rest of the world.
- Bureau of Ghana Languages: it is in charge of writing and publishing of books in the fifteen examinaeble Ghanaian Languages,translating documents from English to Ghanaian Languages and vice versa and researching into the various Ghanaian cultures for preservation in books, films and other retrievable facilities.
These are the major agencies under Ghana’s Ministry of Arts Tourism and Culture.