The Ministry of Communications (MOC) has announced a Sim re-registration exercise to combat mobile fraud in the country. It stated that an individual will need their Ghana Card details in order to register their SIM Cards.
When will the Sim Card re-registration End?
The Sim re-registration process began on October 1, 2021 and continues till date.
The deadline for registration has been extended to 30th September – Hon. Ursula Owusu-Ekuful (Minister for Communications and Digitalisation)
What is the Sim re-registration code?
The short code for registering your Sim card with the Ghana Card is *404#.
How to register your SIM with the Ghana Card
Follow the steps outlined below to register your Sim Card with your Ghana card details.
- Dial the short code *404#
- Enter Ghana Card Pin ( Note: Enter letters and figures without hyphens)
- Confirm Ghana Card Pin
- Enter Surname
- Enter First Name(s)
- Enter Date of Birth (Format: DDMMYYYY)
- Select Sex
- Confirm Details
- Submit Details Provided After Confirmation
- Visit your service provider with the unique code to complete the registration process
What will happen to my sim if I don’t register?
According to the information available, SIM cards that are not registered at the end of the re-registration process will be blocked.
Read Also: 5G vs 4G: Pros and Cons
Know more about the Ghana Card
- What is the Ghana Card?
The Ghana Card is a National Identity Card that is issued by the Ghanaian authorities to Ghanaian citizens – both resident and non-resident, and legally and permanently resident foreign nationals. It is proof of identity, citizenship and residence of the holder. The current version is in ID1 format and biometric.
- Why is the Ghana Card important?
As stated by the Ministry of Communications, the Ghana card will be the main Identity Card for validating online money transactions, for making claims such as insurance claims, and receiving pension benefits. It will also be key in combating internet fraud in the country.
Here is a summary of the uses of the Ghana Card:
- Health Delivery
- Passport Acquisition
- Acquisition of Driver’s License
- Shipping and Clearing of goods from the port and harbours
- Receipt of banking services
- Credit Information
- Registration of Business
- Job search
- Disaster Management
- Access to Social services
- Protecting the Rights of Children
- Electoral Registration
- Travelling (Example: passport registration, validation of identity at borders and police checkpoints)
- E-commerce and Online payment
- Pension claims
- Sim-card registration
- Hire Purchase
- Insurance Claims
- Remittances from Abroad