Do you want to apply for Ghana Biometric Birth Certificate? In this guide, you’ll learn all the procedures involved in applying for Ghana Biometric Birth Certificate Online.
When and if you are applying for a Ghanaian passport, you’ll definitely need a birth certificate. Without it, you can’t apply for your passport. You can either apply for Ghana birth certificate online or offline.
If you have gone through our guide on how to get a Ghanaian Biometric Passport in 15 days, then you should also read this guide on how to get a Ghanaian birth certificate. So, below is a step by step process on how to get a Ghana birth certificate online.
Apply For Ghana Biometric Birth Certificate Online
- What is a Birth Certificate?
According to VitalCheck, a certified birth certificate is an official government-issued record of a person’s birth, printed on security paper and includes an official raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal.
Here in Ghana, the Births and Deaths Registry was established by the Act 301 of 1965, within the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, to handle and develop the births and deaths registration system in Ghana. However, the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of 1965, (Act 301) is the legislation currently in force in the country.
- Why do You Need a Ghana Birth Certificate?
There are many reasons why you should get a birth certificate in Ghana. Below are some of the reasons why you need a birth certificate.
1. Identification – Your birth certificate is your first form of identification. It verifies your name and correct spellings.
2. Registration in a school – You need a birth certificate to be enrolled in a school in Ghana. It is a very vital document required during school admission process.
3. Obtaining a passport – You need a birth certificate to apply for a passport. Without it, you cannot process your passport application in Ghana.
4. Proof of age – as a birth certificate identifies the date on which a person was born, it indicates a person’s correct age which is sometimes necessary for certain jobs with age requirements.
5. Proving citizenship – Your birth certificate is also documentary evidence of citizenship or residency in Ghana.
6. Opening a bank account – most banks require two forms of identification, with a birth certificate being the primary piece of identification. Additional pieces of identification include an identification card or drivers permit.
7. Receiving insurance benefits – some health insurance companies require proof of relation to dependents for coverage. For example, to prove relation to a child in such an instance, a Government-issued birth certificate is an acceptable form of identification.
8. Obtaining a Driver’s License – You may need a birth certificate to obtain a drivers license. You may also want to talk with someone at the department of driver services first, but it never hurts to bring along the certificate as proof even if it is not required.
Documents Needed to Apply for a Biometric Birth Certificate in Ghana
Just like every other online application, there is the need to verify your identity and to be sure you are actually the person applying. In order to do these, you will have to scan some documents and upload them somewhere in the process. These documents are:
- Your Baptismal Certificate
- Clinical Weighing/Notification of birth card
- Old Birth Certificate
In addition to the above, minors (below 18 years) will have to add:
- An affidavit from one of the parents
How to Apply for a Ghanaian Birth Certificate Online.
Below is a step by step procedures to apply for a Ghanaian birth certificate online.
- Visit the E-Services Ghana website at eservices.gov.gh
- On the top-left side of the eServices Page Click on BDR – Apply for Birth Certificate.
- On the next page, Read the option that says new users must register to have full access to the portal online services using the Register link. Click the Register link
- On the next page, you will be met with a form. It contains questions that you will need to fill. Fill the form as accurately as possible. Some of the required fields on the form are:
First and Last Names
Country of Residence
Primary Email Address
- Once you have successfully completed the registration, a confirmation will be sent to your email address. For this reason, it is always advisable you use an address that you have access to
- Click on the confirmation link in the email to confirm your eServices Registration
- Next, visit eServices website again and click on Apply for Birth Certificate or BDR tab.
- Read Instructions Carefully and Select New Applicant to begin.
- Carefully fill the forms and Upload Required files you have already scanned.
- Payment options will be made available to you before the entire process can be completed. Use myghpay by GT Bank to make payment on the e-payment platform.
- Price of Birth Certificate in Ghana (Online Application)
You might be wondering the cost of the Ghanaian biometric birth certificate. It should cost around GHS 50 to GHS100 to apply for the Ghanaian Biometric Birth Certificate online.
Please note, once your application is completer, your birth certificate will be ready for collection after 14 to 30 working days.