The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) is a public-sector organisation under the Ministry of Transport, established under constitutional instrument to provide a regulated framework for an enhanced and more effective administration of drivers and vehicles.
What services are provided by the DVLA?
In accordance with the Institutions mandate to promote good driving standards in the country and ensure the use of road worthy vehicles on the roads and other public places, the DVLA provides several services to its customers which are;
- Driver licensing
- Vehicle licensing
Under the driver licensing,the DVLA provides services like;
- Foreign license conversion: a person cannot not use a foreign driver’s licence to drive in the Ghana hence the DVLA converts foreign licences in accordance with sections 55 to 57 of Act 683 to enable a person with such drive in the country.
- Replacement of lost licence: the DVLA replaces lost licences of customers who present a police extract and an ID card to them. It’s a payable service
- Issuance of international driving permit: the DVLA issues international driving permit for individuals seeking to drive in other countries.Test on road signs and markings and general questions on the country for which the permit is to be issued are asked by the DVLA
- Conduction of proficiency tests: the DVLA conducts proficiency exams for a driver to test the proficiency of the driver upon request from an institution.
- Licence upgrade: the DVLA upgrades valid licences of drivers who have held the said licences for a minimum of two years.
Under vehicle licensing,the DVLA provides these services;
- Change of use: the DVLA ensures the legal transfer of a vehicle from an owner (vendor) to another person(buyer).
- Accident procedures: during an accident and upon request by the police, the DVLA conducts examination on accidents and vehicles involved.
- Vehicle registration: the DVLA either registers newly acquired vehicles with customs documents through an owner or an agent.
- Roadworthiness: cars with vehicle registration certificate for vehicle examination and verification are issued roadworthiness sticker upon satisfactory result from vehicle inspection conducted by the DVLA
- Physical conversions: an application for physical conversion containing the following information; present request from Customs if right-hand steering,name and address of vehicle owner,chassis number and registration number of the vehicle must be submitted to the DVLA for inspection.
The services provided by the DVLA are rendered to everyone if only you meet the criteria of the stated services.