For a Ghanaian student, transition from junior high school to senior high school is held in higher esteem. It is however sad to know that some people do not get placement into any known senior high school due to flawed registration procedures.
Table of Contents
Why did GES initiate the guidelines?
The Ghana Education Service wants to ensure a smooth placement of qualified BECE candidates hence put in place the arrangements for the information of parents, guardians,teachers and candidates and the general public
Grouping of senior high institutions
All second cycle institutions also termed senior high institutions have been regrouped into the following categories;
- Public Second Cycle Institutions: Four groups namely Categories A, B, C and D
- Category E comprises all 2nd cycle schools that offer Technical/Vocational Programmes
- Private Schools -Senior High/Technical Vocational Institutions (Categories F & G) respectively
- All Technical or Vocational Institutions have been categorized into A, B and C, and added to SHS/ SHTS
- Category E comprises all 2nd cycle schools that offer Technical or Vocational Programmes
- Appendix A; contains Detailed Technical or Vocational Programmes
- Appendix B; contains Detailed Senior High Technical/ Vocational Programm
What are the institutions for special education?
Facilities for special education are exclusively designed to accommodate students with special needs. Some of these special facilities also run for students who aren’t disabled or impaired. These facilities are;
- Okuapeman Senior High
School at Akropong Akuapem in the Eastern Region for visually or hearing impaired
- Mampong Akuapem
School at Mampong Akuapem in the Eastern Region for the hearing impaired.
- Ghana National College at Cape Coast in the Central Region for the visually impaired
- Adidome Senior High
School at Adidome in the Volta Region for the visually impaired
- Mawuli School at Ho in the Ho Municipal Assembly for the visually impaired
- Wenchi Meth. Senior
High at Wenchi in the Bono Region for the visually impaired
- Sirigu Senior High School at Sirigu in Upper East Region for the visually impaired
- St. John’s Integrated
School at Tono in the Upper East Region for the hearing impaired
- Wa Senior High School in Wa for the visually impaired
Conditions for selection
Students together with their guardians should take note of the following guidelines;
- Candidates with guidance and assistance from parents/guardians and school authorities must choose five (5)
schools (1st- 5th choice).
- You must select programmes and accommodation in each school of choice.
- Candidates must list choices 1- 3 in order of preference
- Candidate’s 4th Choice must be from Category E
- Candidate’s 5th Choice must be from Category D
- Candidate may select four (4) choices from Category C and one (1) from Category D
- You cannot select more than two (2) schools from Category B
- You cannot choose more than one (1) School from Category A
- Candidates who desire to pursue purely Technical Programmes may select all 1st – 4th Schools from Technical or Vocational Category,Category E and must still select the 5th choice from Category D
These guidelines must be followed stringently if a candidate wants placement into any known second cycle institution.