For a student aspiring to read arts or humanities degree, deciding where to study it is not easy, with hundreds of options of best universities for arts and humanities degrees all over the world.
In this article, we will give you a list of high-ranking best universities for arts and humanities degrees.
Table of Contents
What are the best universities for arts and humanities degrees?
There are about 650 ranking best universities for arts and humanities degrees with most of them situated in Uk, USA, Canada, Australia and Africa. A list of some highly rated institutions amongst the best universities for arts and humanities degrees are below
The School of Humanities and Sciences is known to represent 63 percent awards of Standford undergraduate degrees which makes it quite a competitive school amongst the best universities for arts and humanities.
The aim of the school according to its founders, the Stanford family was to educate “cultured and useful citizens”, and the university still counts its humanities courses as the “soul” of a Stanford education.
Recent achievements in the school include a complex study of race and ethnicity, an online course on classical music appreciation and an award-winning radio show hosted by Stanford philosophy professors.
Stanford is based near Palo Alto, known as Silicon Valley because of its density of high-tech and start-up companies. The spirit of entrepreneurship in the area was encouraged by the university itself in the early 20th century, and many Stanford students and graduates are involved at the highest levels with the world’s most influential technology companies.
Many of the students enrolled at Stanford live in campus residences, near the university’s academic buildings, museums and recreation spaces.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT provides courses across the arts and humanities regardless of it being hugely associated with technology and the applied sciences. And the school is ranking in best universities of health sciences regardless of its foundation structure.
Humanities courses at the MIT include anthropology, history, linguistics, literature, media arts and sciences, and music and theatre arts.
The MIT library system is divided into five libraries, three of which are dedicated to the arts and humanities – the Hayden Library (humanities and sciences), the Lewis Music Library, and the Rotch Library (art, architecture and planning). These libraries contain many notable collections, such as the Lewis’ resources on 20th- and 21st-century music, hip hop and electronic music.
University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is regularly ranked as a top university amongst the best universities for arts and humanities.
The School of Arts and Humanities teaches a variety of subjects, from Asian and Middle Eastern studies to the history of art. Many research projects are collaborative and inform student learning at all levels.
University of Oxford
The humanities division at the University of Oxford includes the faculties of music, history, classics, theology and religion, and English language and literature.
There are about 20,000 students at the university, more than a third of whom are international. Students who enroll for arts and humanities degrees belong to a college, where undergraduates take the majority of their classes with just a few of their peers and a college tutor.
It is possible for undergraduates to study joint degrees, such as philosophy, politics and economics (PPE) – a course for which Oxford is particularly well known – and combinations of arts and sciences.
Oxford’s school of arts and humanities is known to have produced notable alumni who are writers, actors, composers and other prominent personalities in arts and culture. They include the novelists J. R. R. Tolkien and Graham Greene and the satirist Jonathan Swift.
The arts and humanities division at Harvard University is made up of 15 departments, four interdisciplinary undergraduate degree programs and several secondary fields.
Courses available cover a wide range of subjects, including art, music, visual studies, theatre, English and many more.
The division organizes a comprehensive student art campaign where students can explore the art galleries on Harvard’s campus.
What are the other best universities for arts and humanities?
The other highly rated best universities for arts and humanities are below
- UCL United Kingdom
- Princeton University United States
- University of California, Berkeley United States
- University of Edinburgh United Kingdom
- The University of Chicago United States
- Columbia University United States
- Yale University United States
- LMU Munich Germany
- University of California, Los Angeles United States
- University of Toronto Canada
- New York University United States
- University of Pennsylvania United States
- Peking University China
- Delft University of Technology Netherlands
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor United States
- Paris Sciences et Lettres – PSL Research University Paris France
- KU Leuven Belgium
- King’s College London United Kingdom
- Humboldt University of Berlin Germany
- Cornell University United States
- Leiden University Netherlands
- National University of Singapore
- University of Amsterdam Netherlands
- University of Tübingen Germany
- University of Hong Kong Hong Kong
- Duke University United States
- Free University of Berlin Germany
- Durham University United Kingdom
- ETH Zurich Switzerland
- Heidelberg University Germany
- University of Vienna Austria
- London School of Economics and Political Science United Kingdom
- Tsinghua University China
- University of Sydney Australia
- Australian National University Australia
- University of Melbourne Australia
- Lancaster University United Kingdom
- Aarhus University Denmark
- McGill University Canada
- Johns Hopkins University United States
- University of St Andrews United Kingdom
- University of Groningen Netherlands
- Brown University United States
- Rutgers University – New Brunswick United States
- University of York United Kingdom
- Sorbonne University France
- The University of Tokyo Japan
- Utrecht University Netherlands
- Monash University Australia
- University of Texas at Austin United States
- University of Warwick United Kingdom
- University of Helsinki Finland
These are the topmost institutions known to be best universities for arts and humanities.