Gaining a law degree especially from any of the best universities for law degrees, is a steppingstone to channeling your career path in different directions which may be a career as a solicitor, barrister or judge.
Table of Contents
However, there are several universities offering law degrees, and this makes it difficult for students who are selecting schools for their career pathways. In this article, we will give you a list of best universities for law degrees.
What are the best universities for law degrees?
Most of the best universities for law degrees are found in the Uk and the USA with some presence in Canada, and Asia. The list of these highly recognized institutions for quality law degrees are below
Yale Law School is one of the most selective for admissions in the US, with less than 10 per cent of applicants accepted each year hence making it a part of the best universities for law degrees.
The school hosts a number of clinics that allow students to represent clients in real cases. Most of Yale law students take part in these clinics before they graduate. The clinics cover a wide range of legal areas, and new ones are added all the time.
The Yale law school boasts of prominent alumni which includes former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, and former US presidents Bill Clinton and Gerald Ford.
New York University
New York University’s School of Law was established in 1835 and offers a number of graduate programs and LLM dual degrees with other schools, including the University of Melbourne Law School and the National University of Singapore.
The School of Law offers the JD for undergraduate students. Also offered are dual JD degrees in various fields such as taxation, international law, economics, history, philosophy or politics and French studies
University of Oxford
The Faculty of Law at the University of Oxford is one of the largest faculty in the UK with student-to-staff ratio to be approximately 7:1 which positions it as part of the best universities for law degrees.
There are a number of centres and institutes associated and encompassed in the Faculty of Law and they are
- The Bonavero Institute of Human Rights
- The Institute of European Comparative Law
- The Centre for Socio-Legal Studies
- The Oxford Intellectual Property Research Centre
- The Centre for Criminology.
University of Cambridge
The Faculty of Law at the University of Cambridge offers six-degree options to both undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Master’s courses offered by the school include
- MPhil in criminology
- MPhil in criminological research
- Diploma in legal studies
- Diploma in international law
The Squire Law Library at the University of Cambridge offers a large legal collection to students with almost 180,000 volumes and this ranks it as part of the best universities for law degrees.
The collection is strongest in British law but contains collections on legal systems across the world including the US, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. There are also smaller collections relating to other countries.
Stanford Law School is known for having one of the lowest student-to-staff ratios in the US, at 7.3:1. Students can choose from 280 different courses to specialize in the area that interests them.
Law courses at Stanford begin with an overview in the first year covering criminal law, contracts, tort, and legal research and writing before delving more into practical and concrete studies.
What are the other best universities for law degrees?
- Harvard University United States
- London School of Economics and Political Science United Kingdo
- University of Melbourne Australia
- National University of Singapore
- The University of Chicago United States
- UCL United Kingdom
- Columbia University United States
- University of California, Berkeley United States
- KU Leuven Belgium
- University of Edinburgh United Kingdom
- University of Toronto Canada
- McGill University Canada
- Australian National University Australia
- King’s College London United Kingdom
- UNSW Sydney Australia
- University of California, Los Angeles United States
- Tilburg University Netherlands
- Maastricht University Netherlands
- University of Hong Kong Hong Kong
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor United States
- LMU Munich Germany
- Cornell University United States
- Duke University United States
- Leiden University Netherlands
- University of Amsterdam Netherlands
- Georgetown University United States
- Humboldt University of Berlin Germany
- Tsinghua University China
- University of British Columbia Canada
- University of Pennsylvania United States
- Utrecht University Netherlands
- University of Virginia (Main campus) United States
- University of Sydney Australia
- University of Bologna Italy
- University of Nottingham United Kingdom
- Monash University Australia
- Durham University United Kingdom